Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Flowers


As Elliott and I were at the gym last night, I knew that I had the day of today. I was stretching on a mat and my thoughts were split between finding something to do today and finding something to work my weak little legs. We went to the gym without a real plan of what we wanted to do so I was trying to figure out a good leg exercise on the spot. I tried to think of something that I could draw out from my exercise bank from all my years of soccer. Lunges immediately came to mind. I haven't done them in a while and was afraid of embarrassing myself in front of all the people on the machines but at that very moment, I looked up and saw a guy on the elliptical to my right passionately mouthing the lyrics to the music on his iPod. Well, nothing I'm going to do can be as embarrassing at that right? So I gave the lunges a shot. Now that that decision was made, I began to think of something to do today.

Planting. This is what I came up with. Our porch is screaming for some color. We have been meaning to get some flowers for our porch for the longest time and today, we did it. We were given a big blue pot filled with greenery and flowers last year (thanks mom) but ever since it's sad death in the winter, it has been sitting on our porch brown and shriveled up. So today we went and got a few things just to get started. Our porch/stair situation may not be very easy on the eyes, but the flowers definitely help.

Elliott's brother Graham bought a a money tree last year and it has been stuck in the tiny plastic pot it came in ever since. We bought a larger pot a while ago but have neglected to buy some soil to fill it, so this also happened today:

Three ceramic pots (yellow, purple, green)= $22.00
Flowers to fill them= $17.00
Much needed potting soil= $7.00

It's amazing what $46 can do to a porch, especially one that's as small as ours. It's already looking a lot better (and more welcoming). It finally looks like someone actually lives in our apartment. Beth has the gardening fever now. Too bad our backyard is filled with weeds.

1 comment: