Thursday, September 9, 2010

P.U.I

Labor day weekend was awesome..... Three day weekend + birthday + friends + farmers market + mini golf + ice cream + sweet tooth bakery cupcakes + friends + family = love

This weekend was just what we both needed. Some time away from work and school (not so much the school part if you count homework) but we both procrastinated on that anyway. Beth is on a journey to find out how to make the best homemade pizza. And I'm getting closer. I know I will not be able to replicate places such as Settebello or Vinto but I'm willing to settle (a little). I have this insatiable craving lately for authentic pizza (margarita mostly) and can't get enough! I made pizza a few weeks ago and it was a disaster. I used too much dough so it was too thick and it completely stuck to the pizza stone. After a little research I halved the dough and floured the pizza stone before I stick the pizza on. Oh and important info for anyone who has a pizza stone: put it in the oven while it is heating up. I learned this the hard way.

Anyway, craving pizza on Friday I scooted over to whole foods to get things to make margarita pizza. Whole foods has amazing pre-made pizza dough which I decided to try (still working on making my own). I also bought fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and organic tomato sauce (first time trying this. I made my own sauce last time around). That's all I needed for the pizza. I also picked up some things for a salad and made my favorite homemade poppyseed red wine vinegar dressing.

Now the shopping was the hardest part of this meal. The prep/cooking time was maybe 30 minutes and is as follows:

1. Preheat oven as hot as it goes (between 500-550 deg F). Stick in pizza stone WHILE heating up.

2. Take softball sized dough ball (approx) and stretch, throw in air, stretch, throw in air. Repeat until the dough is about as thick as a credit card. Do not roll the dough with a pin (I read it makes it really tough)

3. Get the dough really flowery (made up word?) on the bottom to prevent sticking. Lay out stretched dough on some flat surface you will be able to take over to the oven. Spread pizza sauce over dough (make sure you can still see the dough through the sauce. Too much will make it soggy)

4. Cut mozzarella in slices and place on pizza.

5. Drizzle pizza with olive oil and rub some on the crust. Add some salt as well

6. Put in the oven for about 5-7 minutes (just watch it and you can tell when it's done).

7. Slice and enjoy every bite!

On Labor Day (Beth's 23rd birthday) we did a lot of fun things. Elliott played basketball in the morning while I did homework (had to get it out of the way), then we went to breakfast with friends which was awesome (at the Park Cafe). Next we went mini golfing with the fam (beth's mom, dad, and Nick) at Mulligans in Sandy. I loved this because this is where my parents would always take us as kids so there's some nostalgia attached. My mom took a recent trip to the hospital after some breathing issues and headaches and they sent her home with loratab. Nobody in my family likes Loratab so she didn't take it. Except before we left to go golfing she accidentally took one thinking it was an IBuprofien. Elliott accused her of P.U.I or putting under the influence. She still beat me. Elliott won and I came in last. It never was my strength. I'll stick to things I can kick with my feet.

For dinner Elliott and I went to P.F. Changs. We started with lettuce wraps and the rest doesn't really even matter. It was a great day and nice that my birthday lands on a holiday every couple of years. That way nobody's working and can just focus on my birthday...just kidding...but seriously, it's awesome.

Tonight Elliott is in class and Beth is off to yoga (much needed after a 9 hour day).

No comments:

Post a Comment