Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mountain Time

Today I got off work a little early. I was on I-15 headed home, ready to go sit on the couch and study for tomorrow's test. In the middle of my commute, I decided to run by my parents house and visit Mollie. As I drove through the neighborhoods, I noticed the leaves. They are no longer just green but a mix of green, red, pink, and yellow. One of the best parts in my opinion about living in northern Utah is fall. The canyons in the fall to be more specific.

I love canyon drives and hadn't taken one yet so I ran by, grabbed Mollie, a leash, a poop bag, and my camera and drove up Milcreek Canyon which is literally up the street from my parent's house (lucky? yes.) Mollie and I found a great spot off the side of the road to go and explore. It was an open mountainside and two dogs were already running around with their owners (one of who was extremely pregnant. I wouldn't have been surprised if her water broke then and there.) I let Mollie off the leash and she ran around like a mad dog. She. loved. it to say the least. Freedom. (side note: one of my favorite quotes from Mates of State talks about being free. "We are free, like everything wants to be." Doesn't everything want to be free? I would think so). Anyways, back to Mollie and her freedom. She ran around so fast that she neglected to notice a rather large ditch and face planted into it. We're talking about her already smooshed face breaking her fall. She was so happy that she didn't even care.

I was able to get some pictures of her. One of my favorite things about them is her pure happiness. She forgot that she spends most of the day inside, alone, and sometimes misses out on walks when everyone is too tired to take her. No grudges. Just freedom. And complete happiness. We can learn lessons from our dogs can't we?
(despite what you may be thinking, she is not pooping, just sitting)






(one of many of Mollie's smiles)
I've heard some people say that dogs don't smile. If I've ever seen a dog smile in my life I saw it today. I looked over at Mollie with her head out the window when we were driving up the canyon and I literally saw the edges of her mouth curl into a genuine smile. It immediately made me happy.

So there you go! If you have a dog at home, enjoy it and if you have a chance....take it somewhere you know they'll love. I know I will again. Hopefully with Elliott too next time (because I love him too. A lot)

1 comment:

  1. Beth, I love that picture of mollie looking up at the leaves! I can't believe how its already fall and how the tree's are changing! It's so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete